WILLIAM E. STURDEVANT, PE
* Extensive experience in all aspects of the manufacture of specialty chemicals, from product conception and process development, to plant design, construction and start-up, process engineering, project, process and people management, cost and quality control.
* Experience in technical service and sales of ion exchange resins and reverse osmosis membranes in the water treatment market for North America , involving equipment start-up, trouble-shooting, training of operating personnel, product development, and technical sales support.
AREAS OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
* Licensed Professional Engineer by the Texas Board of Professional Engineers.
* Designed, engineered, managed construction and start-up of a 42 M gpd seawater RO system for use on off-shore oil platforms.
* Obtained a U.S. Patent for seawater RO system noted above.
* Lead process control engineer for ten MET implementation projects for Thermal Heat Recovery Oxidizer (THROX) units at a major Gulf Coast Chemical plant.
* Managed $15 MM capital program.
* Managed $1.7 MM bio-reactor header project that reduced oxygen usage by 45% while increasing reactor capacity by 60%.
* Evaluated Best Available Technology (BAT) for solids waste disposal, calculated long term economic impact, and obtained authorization for capital spending to implement it.
* Managed $2.7 MM hazardous waste landfill project through engineering phase.
* Managed $5.5 MM wastewater pipeline project into construction phase.
Dowex Ion Exchange and FilmTec:
* Developed economic evaluation computer program to assist sales effort. Achieved 20% increase in sales revenues 1994 over 1993, and 25% increase 1995 over 1994.
* Developed UPW-grade resin product line for semi-conductor industry. Product launch in 4th quarter, 1996.
* Trained five new field sellers in the technical aspects of the water treatment market.
* Presented over fifty customer and regional technical seminars.
* Led research/manufacturing effort to improve physical stability of a weak base anion product.
Ion Exchange Resin:
* Led project to reduce 99.9% of the air emissions from the cation manufacturing plant by re-designing the recovery system.
* Led project to rewire the cation control room junction boxes, update wiring documentation, and reprogram the process control computers.
* Directed 20-member production team. Reduced batch cycle time in cation plant by an average of 25% through the continuous improvement process.
* Developed preventative maintenance program that reduced equipment down-time by 20%.
* Developed and implemented recipe and process changes to improve physical stability of a high-profit cation resin product for the power utilities market.
* Engineered, installed, and started-up processing equipment to manufacture a new, high profit, cation resin product for the sugar separation market.
* Engineered, programmed, installed, and started-up new process control computer system for the styrene/DVB copolymer plant.
* Contributed to the team that researched and implemented process changes that improved the yield in the Monosphere* process by 30% for macroporous products.
* Engineered $550 M capital project for solids handling system in new aspirin production facility.
* Updated Current Good Manufacturing Procedures (CGMP) for new salicylic acid/aspirin complex.
* Started up new salicylic acid/aspirin production plants.
* Directed daily activities of the 16-member aspirin production team, setting production and quality records in 1988.
Separan and Drytech Manufacturing:
* Directed 6-member production team for a liquid polymer product, achieving production and quality records, and attaining a 100% supply position with a major customer.
* Represented manufacturing on a multi-functional team that developed the recipe and process for a new super-absorbent polymer.
* Engineered $2 MM in small capital projects to convert the old process to make new polymer for market development.
* Manufacturing representative on new plant design/construction team. Started up new $40 MM polymer manufacturing plant.
S/B Latex Manufacturing:
* Member of a capital project team that installed new reactors, increasing the plant capacity by 25%.
* Led project team that improved oil recovery system, reducing water emissions by 40% and improving plant yields by 5% by installing new separation equipment and reprogramming the process control computer logic.
* Led 12-member maintenance team. Developed preventative maintenance program that reduced process downtime by 25%, and reduced direct maintenance costs by 10%.
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE:
Midland Engineering, Ltd.,
* Engineering and consulting services for the chemical, pharmaceutical, 1997-Present
agricultural, and water treatment industries. (Vice President, water treatment)
The Dow Chemical Company, Midland , Michigan , and Freeport , Texas 1981 – 1997
*BS Chemical Engineering Michigan Technological University 1981